Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"s-he"


So like the most, I was traumatized beyond believe reading how the women of certain states in India were objectified. How preposterous the facts were, “32” women raped in just three months! How did we get so immune to a crime that we speak nonchalantly quoting numbers, just unaffected?

I identify with the word “shame/ haya” and the baggage of being obligated to act within the parameters of what’s allowed and permitted. I know sometimes how violated I feel by just a pair of letchy eyes and hence, my imagination does not even permit me to quantify the pain, the anger, and the frustration, of a girl who would be subject to such extreme physical violence.

But I am most bewildered by the man who would stand tall and guiltless saying: “she called it upon herself”. As a society how did we reach this place of complete lack of compassion laced with such blatant ignorance.So even though the operative word was and is still, “rape”, I am appalled at the mind sets and justifications that were floating around. I was shamed and angered not just by the perpetrator but also by our society for shifting the blame of being raped on a woman.!

 In the paradox of such well defined gender existence, how did the women fall so low? Is she still repenting for the apple she once ate?

As a woman, I also understand the complexity of such defined physical bodily existence and I know how blessed we are to be created in this form. But pride may sometimes stem from the fear of feeling threatened, so while I am reemphasizing I am so proud to be a woman, I question if even that’s taking a stand in recognizing the gender inequality, difference and the biases.

 The paradigm of the most misinterpreted word called “Feminism” where we all hold hands looking back at the long journey we have undertaken, reinstating our independence, liberation and freedom.   I am concerned for how so much is still so little.

Men are still delusional about the power they hold, women are still covering their heads in burkha convinced it’s what they chose, little girls are being killed before they can even see the first ray of sunlight, young girls being molesting and being called sluts, domestic violence , banishing women to live in guilt and accepting their fate and educated intelligent women living with low esteem.

Can we restart the wheel where a man is sensitized to feel like a woman. We relearn to see, feel, comprehend the parallels of existence. It’s a beautiful yin-yan of conjoined existence, where we exist in such peaceful unity of acknowledging yet loving the difference. Hence we restart from the very beginning where apple dint signify sin but an instrument of realization of the elementary difference that existed or the irony of similarly of sorts!

No comments: